• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Liverpool star confirms he's staying at the club immediately after the Champions League win over Lille

Home> Football> Football News> Liverpool

Published 07:46 22 Jan 2025 GMT

Liverpool star confirms he's staying at the club immediately after the Champions League win over Lille

Liverpool received a welcome boost following their 2-1 Champions League win over Lille at Anfield.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool received a welcome boost after one of their players confirmed he is staying immediately after the 2-1 Champions League win over Lille on Tuesday night.

Mo Salah opened the scoring with his 22nd goal of the season, before Jonathan David equalised for the visitors, who were reduced to 10 men when Aissa Mandi was sent off for a second yellow card offence.

Harvey Elliott came off the bench to bag the winner in the 67th minute to ensure that the Reds maintain their 100 per cent record in the Champions League, with seven wins out of seven to claim maximum points.

The former Fulham midfielder has struggled for regular game-time this season after suffering an injury for the first part of season and finding himself behind others in the pecking order.

Advert

In recent times, Elliott has been linked with both Brighton and Hove Albion and Borussia Dortmund as a result of his lack of minutes.

After scoring, the 21-year-old performed a chatting gesture with his hand before placing it across his throat - a clear response to recent speculation.

After his heroics, Elliott explained the thought behind the celebration and discussed his future - remaining adamant that he will not be going anywhere.

“I think it’s pretty clear to be honest, I’m not leaving," Elliott told Amazon Prime.

“You know, I think I said it in an interview the other day, this is my team. This is my club, I’m a massive fan, you know, and we’re in a great position so far this season.

"To be honest I didn't really see all the stuff, it was just a few things that my friends had said to me - calling me out left, right and centre!

"It's always going to happen in January - especially after being out for a long time and not really playing as much as I want to but that's football."

Harvey Elliott has responded to speculation about his future. Image: Getty
Harvey Elliott has responded to speculation about his future. Image: Getty

Liverpool's rumoured asking price

Liverpool paid around £1.5 million for Elliott, plus a further £2.8 million in bonuses in line with the required compensation. According to recent reports, the club would want a fee of £35 million - £40 million if they were to sell him.

Elliott has managed just 53 minutes across eight Premier League appearances but manager Arne Slot has explained that it has been difficult for him to find the right level of intensity because of the injury he suffered at the start of the season.

"He was very unlucky that after two games he got injured, was out for a long time," Slot said in a press conference.

"And from what I’ve seen until now, with almost all of our players that have been out for quite a while, in this league, in this tempo, in this intensity, and the quality we have, the other teams have as well, it is not so easy to come back and be at your best immediately.

"I see this not only with Harvey, I see this with almost all the other players that have been out for five, six, seven or eight weeks. That is the balance we have to find, by giving them playing time to get back to their best level but still be able to win every game."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Champions League, Arne Slot

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
8 hours ago
9 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Darwin Nunez targeted by two Premier League clubs as talks take place

    Nunez has scored nine goals in 24 appearances for Al Hilal this season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Gareth Barry explains why he'll be 'sad' after James Milner breaks Premier League record

    Milner has broken the record for the most appearances in Premier League history.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    Theo Walcott predicts where Real Madrid would come in the Premier League

    Wayne Rooney also made a prediction.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Zinedine Zidane reaches verbal agreement on return to football

    The Frenchman has been without a managerial role since leaving Real Madrid in May 2021.

    Football
  • Liverpool break club record vs Lille that has stood for nearly 20 years as remarkable stat emerges
  • Liverpool fans notice something different about Federico Chiesa in training pictures ahead of Lille clash
  • Liverpool player is now worth 50 times what he was three years ago as staggering transfer valuation revealed
  • Curtis Jones settles the Mo Salah vs Eden Hazard debate with hugely controversial answer