
Cristiano Ronaldo has been linked with launching a takeover bid for an elite football club amid reported backing by the Saudi Arabia royal family.
Ronaldo, who turned 40 in February, is now in the twilight years of his career playing for Saudi Pro League side Al Nassr.
He is said to be keen to play in the 2026 World Cup next summer, which is being hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Advert
The Portugal legend will be 41 by then, and could choose that tournament to bow out of professional football.
Speaking to Canal 11 earlier this year, Ronaldo stated his desire to move into football club ownership when he does eventually retire.
On Thursday, former Premier League midfielder Andy Townsend tipped him to make a move to purchase Wrexham and work alongside Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.
But a new report has linked him to another even more surprising club.
Advert
Mundo Deportivo's Julian Redondo claims that Ronaldo is set to become the next owner of Valencia if they stay in La Liga under Carlos Corberan.
It has even been claimed that he could be supported by the Saudi royal family.
Valencia have won the Spanish top division title twice in the 2000s, in 2001 and 2003, and were regular finishers inside the top four until the past five years.
A decline has since set in, largely due to the sales of key players and a subsequent lack of investment into the squad from the club's ownership.
Relegation looked a significant possibility around Christmas, but the club's appointment of Corberan from West Brom on Christmas Eve has helped to turn their form around.
Advert
Valencia have won five of their last 10 games under the Spaniard, though still only sit four points clear of the bottom three.
The club are currently owned by Singapore billionaire Peter Lim, who was the majority owner of League One side Salford City until 2024 when his stake was purchased by Gary Neville.
It is worth noting that, despite Redondo's claims, any link between Ronaldo and Valencia appears to be simply speculation at present.
The Spanish club recently started renovation work on their Mestalla Stadium - work which had been paused for 16 years - and secured a long-term debt refinancing agreement worth a combined €186 million to complete that renovation.
And in March, a spokesperson for Lim told media outlets in Singapore that, despite heavy pressure from supporters, he would not be putting Valencia up for sale in the near future.
Advert
Meriton Holdings, the holding company of Lim's stake in Valencia, stated: "Meriton wants to make it clear that such reports [regarding a sale] are false.
"Valencia CF is not up for sale and it remains committed to Valencia CF."
Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Football, La Liga, Saudi Arabia