sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Romelu Lukaku makes audacious prediction about the Saudi Pro League after turning down offer last year
Home>Football>Transfer News
Published 14:05 25 Jan 2024 GMT

Romelu Lukaku makes audacious prediction about the Saudi Pro League after turning down offer last year

Romelu Lukaku has heaped praise on the Saudi Pro League.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Romelu Lukaku has flirted with the idea of joining Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar in the Saudi Pro League, saying he can see the SPL becoming "one of the best in the world, if not the best".

The 30-year-old striker, who is currently on a season-long loan at Serie A side AS Roma from Chelsea, has been linked with a move to the Middle East for some time.

In fact, he is said to have turned down an eye-watering £45 million-per-year offer from Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal last summer.

But the Belgium international decided against joining former teammates Kalidou Koulibaly and N'Golo Kante in Saudi Arabia as he 'only wanted to leave Chelsea for Inter Milan', according to GOAL.

Advert

Now, a year later, Lukaku has appeared to change his mind over a potential move during an interview with Belgian outlet HLN.

Speaking after Roma's 2-1 win over Al Shabab on Wednesday, he said: "In the next two years I see this league becoming one of the best in the world, if not the best.

"The clubs make a lot of efforts to bring the 'big' players here. As a result, the teams and the footballing qualities are improving significantly.”

Lukaku was also asked if he sees himself playing in the Saudi Pro League one day. "Absolutely," he replied.

Back in June, he reportedly travelled to Saudi Arabia to hold talks with Al Hilal as his future at Chelsea remained in the balance.

According to GOAL, the Chelsea striker spoke to Al Hilal officials and was keen to 'squeeze an even larger salary out of the club'.

Chelsea were said to be open to a sale but he moved to Rome on a straight loan deal with a fee worth of around £7m million based on performance-related conditions.

Roma also agreed to cover Lukaku's wages after he agreed to a salary cut at the Blues.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Romelu Lukaku, Saudi Arabia, Saudi Pro League, Transfers, AS Roma, Chelsea

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel makes Kobbie Mainoo decision ahead of squad announcement as Adam Wharton spot 'in doubt'

    The England boss has been cutthroat in his squad, as one midfielder is set to miss out

    Football
  • Son Heung-min's astronomical Saudi Pro League contract offer revealed with player 'set to leave Spurs'
  • Cristiano Ronaldo’s Saudi Pro League Earnings Since Man Utd Exit
  • Harry Kane Has Made His Feelings Clear on Saudi Amid 'Unbelievable' £261m Offer
  • Bruno Fernandes' shock Saudi Pro League transfer will help cost-cutting Man Utd save £70m