sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mayor of Greater Manchester is ‘worried about where English football is heading’ after seeing changes to this season’s Carabao Cup
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 23:20 28 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 23:00 28 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Mayor of Greater Manchester is ‘worried about where English football is heading’ after seeing changes to this season’s Carabao Cup

Andy Burnham voiced his opinion on social media.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, has voiced his concerns about "where English football is heading" following changes to the Carabao Cup.

A new seeding mechanism has been introduced to the competition in a bid to ease fixture congestion prompted by the expansion of both the Champions League and Europa League.

For the first time since 1992, the Champions League format is about to change, with 36 teams competing in a league phase.

The number of matches in the new format will increase from 125 to 189, which will naturally increase the already-intense workload on many top clubs around Europe.

Advert

But following concerns surrounding the pressures of this season's calendar, the Carabao Cup will adopt a seeding system.

To ensure there is no clash with European and Cup fixtures, the EFL have enforced new rules for the third round of the draw which will see teams playing in Europe avoid each other in the early rounds.

In fact, six of the seven teams competing in Europe – Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Spurs and Manchester United – cannot be drawn against each other.

The above clubs actually took part in a pre-draw before Newcastle's win over Nottingham Forest on Wednesday to decide if they will be at home or away in the third round.

Andy Burnham, who is the Mayor of Greatest Manchester, reacted to the changes ahead of the draw on Wednesday night. He wrote: "I worry about where English football is heading."

Here's how fans on social media reacted to Burnham's statement.

One said: "Hideous this. The beauty of cups in England is fact it isn’t seeded. This is embarrassing," while another commented: "I thought this was a joke at first."

A third wrote: "What a joke of a draw system. If the UCL lot don't wanna play the league cup (they clearly don't) just don't enter, job done."

A fourth said: "More to do with UEFA cramming two more games in so it makes scheduling two teams in Europe against each other impossible," and a fifth added: "That’s dreadful."

Concerns have previously been raised around the fixture schedule.

After they reached the FA Cup final last season following a win over Chelsea, Pep Guardiola mentioned the potential repercussions of the busy period.

He said: "When we play the Champions League [then] – hopefully we will qualify – it is the same week as the Carabao Cup. How are we going to play? Will we play EDS [development squad] in the Carabao Cup? After next season we go to the Club World Cup [too]."

Guardiola added: “We are incredibly happy, a lot of money, incredibly prestigious. But how many days do I give off to the players? Two weeks off and start the season again. It’s unsustainable.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: EFL Cup

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Declan Rice footage during Carabao Cup ceremony leaves Arsenal fans extremely worried
  • Carabao Cup Draw Simulator Hands Wrexham Premier League Giants and Chelsea Nightmare Tie
  • Carabao Cup announce shock change to 2025/26 competition format as fans left baffled
  • Carabao Cup second round draw in full as Man Utd and Everton learn opponents

Choose your content:

7 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    7 mins ago

    'Talks have been held' - Man Utd considering move for cheaper midfield option as long-term investment

    The shortlist for Casemiro's replacement is getting whittled down, with one new, leading candidate holding 'talks' with United

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Germany announce 26-man World Cup squad as surprise ex-Premier League star included

    Germany have announced their final 26-man squad for the World Cup - with a number of surprise players included.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    What needs to happen for nine Premier League teams to play in Europe next season

    Aston Villa's Europa League triumph has opened up a scenario where eight Premier League sides can feature in European football next term.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    MPs make desperate plea to government about controversial TNT Sports decision

    TNT broke a 34-year tradition with its coverage this year, and the MPs are furious on behalf of British football fans

    Football