sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Taylor Fritz Says He 'Doesn't Deserve' To Face Nick Kyrgios In Wimbledon Semis After Rafael Nadal Withdrawal
Home>Tennis
Published 07:55 8 Jul 2022 GMT+1

Taylor Fritz Says He 'Doesn't Deserve' To Face Nick Kyrgios In Wimbledon Semis After Rafael Nadal Withdrawal

Fans suggested Fritz should face Kyrgios after Nadal pulled out of the tournament with an abdominal injury.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

American tennis star Taylor Fritz says he "doesn't deserve" to face Nick Kyrgios in the semi-finals of Wimbledon following Rafael Nadal's withdrawal from the tournament.

Nadal, 36, battled through the pain of an abdominal injury to beat Fritz, 24, over five sets in their quarter-final on Wednesday.

Nadal was due to face Kyrgios in their semi-final on Friday but 22-time Grand Slam champion was forced to pull out of the match through injury, handing the fiery Australian a bye into Sunday's final.

Following the news of Nadal's withdrawal, fans were quick to suggest Fritz should take his place in the last four.

When the world No 14 took to social media on Thursday to thank fans for their support during the tournament, one user suggested that competition organisers "should have let you go forward".

Advert

Fritz responded: "Nah not looking for handouts, if I couldn't beat him [Nadal] then I don't deserve to be in the semis...simple as that."

Nadal confirmed on Thursday that he had been forced to pull out of the tournament because of the abdominal injury.

Instagram/Taylor Fritz

"As everyone saw yesterday I have been suffering with a pain in the abdominal and something was not okay there. That is confirmed, I have a tear in the muscle and the communication is too late,” said the Spaniard.

"I was thinking the whole day I was thinking about the decision to make but I think it doesn’t make sense to go, even if I try through my career to keep going.

"It is very tough circumstances but it is obvious if I keep going the injury will be worse and worse."

Kyrgios has previously clashed with Nadal but the Australian sent his opponent a message of support following the news of his withdrawal.

"Different players, different personalities. @rafaelnadal I hope your recovery goes well and we all hope to see you healthy soon 🗣🙏🏽 till next time…", Kyrgios wrote on Instagram, alongside a picture of him shaking hands with Nadal.

Kyrgios, 27, is now through to the first Grand Slam singles final of his career.

He will face either defending champion Novak Djokovic or British No 1 Cameron Norrie, who meet in the other semi-final on Friday.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Wimbledon, Tennis, Rafael Nadal, Nick Kyrgios

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

12 hours ago
a day ago
  • Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Worrying Jannik Sinner fitness update emerges days before French Open opener

    We could have a major without both Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, as the two heavyweights feel the effects of a strenuous schedule

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Novak Djokovic training with Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros

    Novak Djokovic has been training with a Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros.

    Tennis
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Jannik Sinner given ranking points by ATP Tour ahead of French Open despite not playing

    Sinner has gained additional ranking points on his record - even though he hasn't played this week.

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Jannik Sinner to take part in unprecedented French Open protest

    Sinner will be among 20 players who have staged a walkout of the French Open

    Tennis
  • Jannik Sinner hits back at Nick Kyrgios after he slams Wimbledon champion over doping ban
  • Nick Kyrgios fires another savage dig at Jannik Sinner as war of words with Wimbledon champion continues
  • Nick Kyrgios set for historic 'battle of the sexes' tennis match against female Wimbledon star
  • Nick Kyrgios aims another brutal dig at Jannik Sinner after Wimbledon champion posts message to his fans