sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Novak Djokovic explains post-match interview boycott and demands apology after 'shocking' end to Australian Open clash
Home>Tennis
Updated 10:49 20 Jan 2025 GMTPublished 12:55 19 Jan 2025 GMT

Novak Djokovic explains post-match interview boycott and demands apology after 'shocking' end to Australian Open clash

Novak Djokovic has explained his decision not to partake in post-match interviews at the Australian Open.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Novak Djokovic has explained his decision to boycott post-match interviews after he snubbed Jim Courier's on-court chat following his victory over Jiri Lehecka.

On Sunday morning, the 24-time Grand Slam winner sealed his place in the quarter-final of the 2025 Australian Open after beating Lehecka 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).

After the match, it is tradition that the winning player will partake in an on-court interview to reflect on the game.

Advert

However, Djokovic took the microphone from ex-player Courier and said: "Thank you very much for being here tonight. I appreciate your support and I will see you in the next round," before being booed off by the crowd as he walked off.

The number seven seed was then seen signing autographs for fans before heading down the tunnel towards the locker room.

In his post-match press conference, the Serbian explained his decision not to do the interview and demanded an apology from Australian broadcaster Channel 9.

Djokovic was referring to Channel 9's Tony Jones, who shouted: "Novak, he's overrated, Novak's a has-been, Novak kick him out," towards his fans on Friday while live on TV.

The 37-year-old said: "A couple of days ago, a famous sports journalist who works for the official broadcaster, Channel Nine, here in Australia made a mockery of Serbian fans and also made insulting and offensive comments towards me.

"Since then, he chose not to issue any public apology, neither did Channel Nine. Since they are the official broadcaster, I chose not to give interviews to Channel Nine."



Djokovic added: "I have nothing against Jim Courier and the Australian public, and it was a very awkward situation for me to face on the court today.

"It's unfortunate, I chose to say something to the crowd, but obviously it wasn't the time and space for me to explain what I'm doing right now. I leave it to Channel Nine to handle this the way they see fit, and that's all."

When speaking about the incident on Channel 9, former tennis star John McEnroe said: "What happened there? ... that was a somewhat shocking ending to this evening."

Djokovic will take on Carlos Alcaraz in the quarter-final of the Australian Open on Tuesday.

Featured Image Credit: Eurosport

Topics: Novak Djokovic, Tennis, Australian Open

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
a day ago
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Worrying Jannik Sinner fitness update emerges days before French Open opener

    We could have a major without both Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, as the two heavyweights feel the effects of a strenuous schedule

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Novak Djokovic training with Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros

    Novak Djokovic has been training with a Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros.

    Tennis
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Jannik Sinner given ranking points by ATP Tour ahead of French Open despite not playing

    Sinner has gained additional ranking points on his record - even though he hasn't played this week.

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Jannik Sinner to take part in unprecedented French Open protest

    Sinner will be among 20 players who have staged a walkout of the French Open

    Tennis
  • Tennis Star Pulls Out of Australian Open Hours Before Novak Djokovic Clash
  • Novak Djokovic makes worrying French Open fitness claim after shock Italian Open defeat
  • Jannik Sinner joins Novak Djokovic in historic club after winning Italian Open
  • Novak Djokovic Hailed For 'Touching' Gesture Before Australian Open Final