• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Nick Kyrgios told 'don't come back to Wimbledon' following Wimbledon withdrawal

Home> Tennis

Published 10:21 4 Jul 2023 GMT+1

Nick Kyrgios told 'don't come back to Wimbledon' following Wimbledon withdrawal

Kyrgios pulled out of Wimbledon on the eve of the tournament and was able to be replaced but one pundit isn't impressed

Ryan Sidle

Ryan Sidle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Nick Kyrgios has been told he shouldn't be allowed back to Wimbledon after pulling out of the tournament on the eve of the opening day.

On Sunday night Wimbledon was hit with the news that Kyrgios wouldn't be returning to SW19 the following day, a year after reaching the final.

Like him or not there is no doubting that the Australian provides as much entertainment in any competition he enters as any other player on the tour.

During his final last year with Novak Djokovic he even managed moments of his usual tomfoolery, accusing one member of the crowd of having '700 drinks.'

Advert

Explaining his decision to back out, the 28-year-old said: "During my comeback, I experienced some pain in my wrist during Mallorca. As a precaution I had it scanned and it came back showing a torn ligament in my wrist.

"I tried everything to be able to play and I am disappointed to say that I just didn’t have enough time to manage it before Wimbledon."

His decision to withdraw before the tournament did allow “lucky loser” Fabian Marozsan to play in the first round but that's not enough for commentator Chris Goldsmith.

The man known as the "Tennis Talker" took to social media to say: "Those that say Nick Kyrgios is good for tennis are wrong.

"No integrity whatsoever. Pulls out of singles and doubles a few hours before the tournament. Another ALT into Qualifying missed a place, all because he likes to mess about.

"Don’t come back to SW19."

Kyrgios was practicing at Wimbledon but then his injury was too bad. Image: Getty
Kyrgios was practicing at Wimbledon but then his injury was too bad. Image: Getty

Kyrgios was meant to be playing David Goffin on Court One on Monday but the Beligan was knocked down to Court Two to face Marozsan.

He came through against the qualifier in four sets, 6-2 5-7 6-2 6-0, and will next take on Chilean Tomas Barrios, who also needed four sets to go through.

With the gates of the All England club opening on Monday, Novak Djokovic kicked things off on centre court and made his way through pretty easily.

Fans flooded in as usual and were met with the prices of food and drink but the good news is that strawberries and cream have stayed at £2.50, a price that has remained for a decade.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Tennis, Wimbledon, Nick Kyrgios

Ryan Sidle
Ryan Sidle

Ryan is a journalist for SPORTbible with over eight years of experience. Passionate about all sports, he mainly covers football and F1 - Daniel Ricciardo once spent an entire interview referring to him as 'Ryan Gosling,' still his proudest moment.

X

@Sidler28

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

a day ago
12 days ago
15 days ago
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Carlos Alcaraz involved in x-rated clash with chair umpire at Qatar Open

    Carlos Alcaraz returned to action this week following the Australian Open.

    Tennis
  • Getty
    12 days ago

    Novak Djokovic Loses It as Olympian Pulls Off Forbidden Move Banned for 50 Years

    Tennis great Novak Djokovic has been spotted at the Winter Olympic Games.

    Tennis
  • Getty
    12 days ago

    Serena Williams Slammed for ‘Disgusting’ Super Bowl Advert

    Serena Williams made an appearance during Super Bowl LX.

    Tennis
  • Getty
    15 days ago

    Boris Becker Sparks Outrage With Two-Word Comment on Emma Raducanu

    Emma Raducanu is competing at the Transylvania Open this week.

    Tennis
  • How much fans have to pay for food and drink at Wimbledon revealed
  • Five percent of British people believe they'd beat Serena Williams in a tennis match
  • Heather Watson and Coco Gauff speak out on Wimbledon's new underwear rule for female players
  • Furious Tennis fans hit out at Wimbledon 2023 draw and claim it's 'rigged'