sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Rory McIlroy breaks silence on claims he snubbed Bryson DeChambeau after US Open defeat in honest social media post
Home>Golf
Updated 11:20 22 Jun 2024 GMT+1Published 11:13 18 Jun 2024 GMT+1

Rory McIlroy breaks silence on claims he snubbed Bryson DeChambeau after US Open defeat in honest social media post

Rory McIlroy as released a statement after losing the US Open in dramatic fashion.

Ben McCrum

Ben McCrum

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Rory McIlroy has spoken out after storming out following second-place finish in the US Open

Ten years after his previous major win at the 2014 Open, McIlroy looked set to end the decade long drought as he stood on the 14th tee two shots ahead of Bryson DeChambeau.

But, as the American masterfully navigated the final holes, McIlroy struggled with back-to-back bogeys on the 15th and 16th holes.

Another bogey for the 35-year-old on the final hole from less than four feet away, all but sealed his fate.

Advert

Minutes later, McIlroy watched in despair as DeChambeau snatched victory with a par on the hole 18, holding his lead at six shots under.

Just minutes later, the Northern Irishman controversially left the venue, declining to speak to media and failing to congratulate his competitor.

But now, McIlroy has finally broken his silence.

Writing in a statement on X, he said: “Yesterday was a tough day, probably the toughest I’ve had in my nearly 17 years as a professional golfer.

“Firstly, I’d like to congratulate Bryson. He is a worthy champion and exactly what professional gold needs right now.

“As I reflect on my week, I’ll rue a few things over the course of the tournament, mostly the two missed putts on 16 and 18 on the final day.

“I feel closer to winning my next major championship than I ever have.

“The one word that I would describe my career as is resilient. I’ve shown my resilience over and over again in the last 17 years and I will again.”

Rory McIlroy disappointed as he bogey'd hole 18, to drop to second place with a score of -5 (Image: Getty)
Rory McIlroy disappointed as he bogey'd hole 18, to drop to second place with a score of -5 (Image: Getty)

The Northern Irishman also confirmed that he would be taking a few weeks away from the sport before returning on July 13 for the Genesis Scottish Open, which he won last year.

McIlroy’s next opportunity at a major will come less than a week later, as the 152nd Open Championship tees off at the Royal Troon.

Featured Image Credit: Getty/Sky Sports

Topics: Rory Mcilroy, US Open, Golf

Ben McCrum
Ben McCrum

Ben is a sports journalist who specialises in football, Formula One and MMA. He has written for publications such as Manchester Evening News, WiganToday, Manchester World and beIN Sports. Throughout his career, he has interviewed top athletes including Gareth Southgate, Luke Littler, Tom Aspinall and Jenson Button.

X

@benmcc14

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

10 hours ago
18 hours ago
20 hours ago
22 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Why PGA Championship winner Aaron Rai wears two gloves and uses iron covers

    The English golfer made history at Aronimink Golf Club, but his unconventional style choices raised some questions.

    Golf
  • Getty Images
    18 hours ago

    Aaron Rai prize money: How much the Englishman made from shock PGA Championship win

    The 31-year-old became only the eighth Englishman since 1940 to win a major with his victory.

    Golf
  • Sky Sports
    20 hours ago

    'Shut the f*** up' - Rory McIlroy has fan ejected after fiery exchange at PGA Championship

    The Northern Irishman asked security to remove the fan after their heated interaction on the 16th hole.

    Golf
  • Getty Images
    22 hours ago

    Who is Aaron Rai? Englishman wins shock 2026 PGA Championship title and ends 100-year curse

    He became only the second Englishman to win the PGA Championship.

    Golf
  • 'Shut the f*** up' - Rory McIlroy has fan ejected after fiery exchange at PGA Championship
  • 'I was hearing...' - Rory McIlroy drops what golf pros knew about LIV Golf struggles
  • Rory McIlroy issues fitness update after injury fears ahead of US PGA Championship
  • Rory McIlroy finally speaks out on tense moment with Bryson DeChambeau during Masters win