sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Ryan Giggs trial: Jury discharged after failing to reach verdict
Home>Football
Updated 16:16 31 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 15:29 31 Aug 2022 GMT+1

Ryan Giggs trial: Jury discharged after failing to reach verdict

The jury failed to reach a verdict on any of the charges against Giggs after deliberating for 22 hours and 59 minutes.

The SPORTbible Team

The SPORTbible Team

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The jury in the trial for former Manchester United player Ryan Giggs has been discharged after failing to reach a verdict.

Giggs, 48, denied headbutting his former partner Kate Greville during a row at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester on November 1, 2020.

The former Wales manager also denied using controlling behaviour, as well as assaulting Greville's sister Emma, 26 - pleading not guilty to all charges at Manchester Crown Court.

Giggs denied the allegations against him, pleading not guilty to all charges (Image: Alamy)
Giggs denied the allegations against him, pleading not guilty to all charges (Image: Alamy)

Advert

The jury failed to reach a verdict on any of three charges against Giggs after deliberating for 22 hours and 59 minutes.

Judge Hilary Manley asked the jury if they had reached a verdict on any of the counts, after previously instructing them that they could return a majority verdict instead of an unanimous one if 10 out of the 11 jurors agreed.

The foreman of the jury answered: "No."

Asked if there was any "realistic prospect" of them reaching verdicts if given more time, the foreman again answered: "No."

The jury at Manchester Crown Court was unable to deliver a verdict on any of the chargers against Giggs (Image: Alamy)
The jury at Manchester Crown Court was unable to deliver a verdict on any of the chargers against Giggs (Image: Alamy)

Judge Manley thanked the jurors, saying "it was clear they had striven hard to reach verdicts" and should not feel "dispirited".

She then discharged the jury and warned them not to discuss the case as there may be a retrial in the future.

Giggs permanently stepped down as Wales manager in June after temporarily leaving the role when he was first charged in 2020.

Giggs faces the possibility of a retrial next year (Image: Alamy)
Giggs faces the possibility of a retrial next year (Image: Alamy)

Giggs said he did not want his nation's preparations for the World Cup in Qatar this winter to be "affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case".

A decision over whether he will face a retrial is expected to be made next week.

Any retrial will not take place until at least 5 June 2023, the judge added.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Ryan Giggs, Football, Manchester United, Wales

The SPORTbible Team
The SPORTbible Team

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

24 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    24 mins ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Manchester United release statement after charges dropped against Mason Greenwood
  • Manchester United's Mason Greenwood released on bail after being charged with attempted rape
  • Manchester United Release Statement On Mason Greenwood After Fans Spot His Profile On The Club's Website
  • Manchester United Release Statement After Shock Allegations Against Mason Greenwood