• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Manchester United are ‘ready to go all-out’ for highly-rated forward in £34 million deal

Home> Football

Updated 11:20 25 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 20:53 19 Aug 2022 GMT+1

Manchester United are ‘ready to go all-out’ for highly-rated forward in £34 million deal

Erik ten Hag's side are finally making moves in the transfer window.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United are 'expected' to sign highly-rated Netherlands international Cody Gakpo in a deal worth around £34 million, say reports.

The 23-year-old PSV Eindhoven forward, who scored 21 goals in 48 games for club and country last season, has been linked with a move for large parts of this summer's window.

And now, the pacey Gakpo has overtaken another target – Ajax forward Antony – as United's number one target to improve their attacking options, according to The Telegraph.

Image credit: Alamy
Image credit: Alamy

Advert

United had a £67.9 million bid for long-term target Antony rejected this week, which has seemingly led the club to look at alternative options as deadline day looms ever closer.

Gakpo will certainly be a cheaper option and Erik ten Hag is supposedly a huge admirer of the 6ft 2in player, who can play across the forward line.

In fact, The Telegraph suggest that unless Ajax 'suddenly relent' in regards to the Antony deal, then United will push ahead with a move for Gakpo, who has already told the club that he wants to join the ranks at Old Trafford this summer.

So where do PSV stand in a potential deal?

With their crucial Champions League play-off against Rangers happening on Wednesday the 24th – a game that could earn the club £40million – it seems the Eredivisie club do not want to announce a deal before that day.

They are, however, willing to sell Gakpo, even if they reach the UCL group stages.

Eindhoven reportedly want around £38.2million for the player but that fee is not expected to cause a problem.

Last week, PSV manager Ruud van Nistelrooy did not rule out the possibility of Gakpo leaving this summer after it emerged that Erik ten Hag had already made contact with the forward.

"He keeps as far as possible away from that which causes noise in order to deliver a top performance," the former Manchester United forward said.

"Cody is 23 years old and that is not always possible at that age, but for me he is someone who is always busy with his profession.

"They really know him. As a trainer I try to help him with everything he needs, but he has to do it himself in the end."

Van Nistelrooy added: "We will only talk about it when there is something concrete. We are working on his development as a player and how he can contribute to PSV."

Thoughts on a potential deal to sign Gakpo?

Let us know in the comments.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Instagram - codymathesgakpo

Topics: Manchester United, Transfers, Manchester United Transfer News & Rumours, Premier League, PSV

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

12 hours ago
14 hours ago
15 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Wrexham transfer target ready to 'accept' move if they achieve Premier League promotion

    Several clubs are also said to be interested, including Aston Villa and Everton.

    Football
  • Getty
    12 hours ago

    Scott McTominay speaks out on future as shock club 'leads way' to sign Napoli star

    McTominay was named as the Serie A MVP last season after signing for Napoli from Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    14 hours ago

    Jesse Lingard close to transfer after seven teams 'rejected' chance to sign him

    Lingard is said to be in talks with the little-known club.

    Football
  • Judit Cartiel/Getty Images
    15 hours ago

    Barcelona to 'sign Marcus Rashford then immediately sell him' as bombshell report drops

    The Manchester United star could finally see his dream to join Barcelona permanently come true, only to be immediately sold.

    Football
  • Matheus Cunha Sends Brutal Message To Viral Manchester United Haircut Fan
  • Man United 'desperate' to sign Real Madrid star with £34 million bid ready to be accepted by La Liga giants
  • Secret ‘Player’ Man Utd Were Offered in January Revealed After Deal Fell Through
  • Man Utd to 'join race' for £60 million-rated Premier League forward as they close in on Matheus Cunha transfer