sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Sir Alex Ferguson comment about Sir Jim Ratcliffe resurfaces after INEOS brutally axe Man Utd legend's contract
Home>Football>Football News>Man Utd
Published 14:31 15 Oct 2024 GMT+1

Sir Alex Ferguson comment about Sir Jim Ratcliffe resurfaces after INEOS brutally axe Man Utd legend's contract

Sir Alex Ferguson will not be receiving payments for ambassadorial duties following a meeting with Sir Jim Ratcliffe.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Sir Alex Ferguson's previous remark about Sir Jim Ratcliffe has emerged after the legendary Manchester United's contract was ended.

Following on from his retirement in 2013, Ferguson remained involved with United as both a director and ambassador.

This meant he was paid an annual salary by the club, to the tune of £2.16 million, for his services.

Advert

Ferguson signed a deal to become a global ambassador in October 2013,

according to The Athletic, who referenced 2014 accounts under the related party transactions section.

However, on Tuesday news emerged that the 13-time Premier League winner was having his ties cut.

INEOS have decided to axe his deal due to cost-cutting measures, with Ferguson informed in a face-to-face meeting that he will not be paid beyond the current season.

But there are not believed to be any hard feelings and the matter was dealt with "amicably".

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

The 82-year-old was the first person Ratcliffe met when he agreed to buy his stake in United and he sat with him in the director's box for his first game after the deal was done when United drew 2-2 with Spurs.

When the Ratcliffe investment was growing ever closer, Ferguson was asked about the prospect of the INEOS chief taking control and gave a brief but positive quote.

"I am still a director of the club and I know Jim [Ratcliffe] well," Ferguson told Gambling Zone in November.

"We shall have to see what he does but I am optimistic."

In February this year Ratcliffe described the Scot as "still fiercely competitive" and said he has "a lot of thoughts about the club".

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Ferguson will remain a non-executive director, away from the official board - including all six Glazer siblings and INEOS chiefs John Reece and Rob Nevin.

Only last month, he did admit to "sometimes" missing the feeling management gave him - particularly big European fixtures.

He told the BBC: "I think the first year after retirement, I went to the European final and I said to [his late wife] Cathy: 'This is what I miss -- big games, the European games.'

"So then I went to most of the European finals because I find something I can relate to, something I would liked to have done every day. Because these are the big events that United should always be involved in."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Sir Alex Ferguson's Man Utd contract axed by INEOS as Sir Jim Ratcliffe brutally ends long-standing deal
  • Sir Alex Ferguson's reaction to having his Man Utd contract brutally axed by INEOS revealed by club 'source'
  • David de Gea once forced Sir Alex Ferguson to break his own strict rule at Man Utd
  • Peter Schmeichel reveals the moment he was almost SACKED by Sir Alex Ferguson in heated Man Utd row