sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Antony breaks his silence on Man Utd future after Ruben Amorim 'tried to block transfer'
Home>Football>Football News>Man Utd
Published 13:53 25 Jan 2025 GMT

Antony breaks his silence on Man Utd future after Ruben Amorim 'tried to block transfer'

Antony is closing in on a loan move away from Manchester United.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Antony has broken his silence on his Manchester United future ahead of an impending loan move to La Liga side Real Betis.

The Brazilian winger is set to sign for the Spanish club on loan until the end of the season, having already travelled to Seville to complete a medical.

Reports claim that an option to buy for Betis has been inserted into the deal, which would end a largely miserable three-season spell at United for the winger.

Antony signed for United for a fee of around £85 million from Ajax in the summer of 2022, and despite impressing during his early matches for the Red Devils, never found any sort of consistent form and has spent much of the last 18 months on the fringes of the side.

Advert

The 24-year-old hasn't started a single Premier League match since Ruben Amorim took charge in November, but did surprisingly play the second half of United's comeback 3-1 win over Southampton earlier this month, with his side having been 1-0 down when he came on.

Amorim had briefly decided to block the loan move to Betis, according to reports in Spain, as he wanted to name Antony in his squad for Thursday's Europa League victory over Rangers.

Now that match has been completed, Antony is now set to play for Manuel Pellegrini's side until the end of the current campaign - and potentially beyond.

And after being spotted at a Spanish airport, Antony gave his feelings on the move - and seemingly about his future at Old Trafford.

He told reporters (via Fabrizio Romano): "I'm so happy. I'm ready."

Image: Twitter/@FabrizioRomano
Image: Twitter/@FabrizioRomano

Antony will hope that the new environment presents him with new opportunities to recapture the sort of form that originally prompted United to shell out one of their biggest ever transfer fees - a fee which now looks set to result in a significant loss.

Speaking on the club's pre-season tour in August, he said: "I demand a lot of myself and obviously I was not satisfied with my season [in 2023/24].

"A lot happened over the year in my personal life. Like it or not, everything had an effect on the pitch.

"But I've got a strong mentality and I'm focused on what I want. I know this season will be totally different."

The Brazilian still has time to make that last statement come true in Betis.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Antony, Manchester United, Ruben Amorim

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Man Utd close in on signing of player Ruben Amorim was desperate to bring in and be key man
  • 'Choices were made' - £80million Man Utd midfield target was once previously sold by Ruben Amorim
  • Ruben Amorim set for perfect next job four months after Man United sacking
  • Antony Speaks Out on Ruben Amorim and Man Utd Treatment Before Real Betis Transfer