sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
The 'real reason' why Fenerbahce waited until Galatasaray scored before walking off in Super Cup protest
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 16:18 8 Apr 2024 GMT+1Published 16:16 8 Apr 2024 GMT+1

The 'real reason' why Fenerbahce waited until Galatasaray scored before walking off in Super Cup protest

Some light has been shed on the bizarre moment.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The 'real reason' why Fenerbahce waited until Galatasaray scored before walking off the pitch during the Turkish Super Cup final has been revealed.

Fenerbahce made headlines on Sunday evening when their players walked off the field just one minute into the Turkish Super Cup final against Galatasaray.

Fenerbahce fielded their Under-19s side as part of a protest, and when Mauro Icardi put Galatasaray ahead inside the first minute, the youngsters walked off the pitch.

The match was forfeited and Galatasaray were awarded the trophy, before they played a match against their reserve players to give supporters something to watch.

Advert

Fenerbahce were protesting against alleged unfair treatment by the Turkish football authorities.

The Turkish giants had asked for the match - which was meant to take place in Saudi Arabia in December but was called off - to be postponed so they could prepare for a Europa League quarter-final against Olympiakos of Greece on Thursday

They also asked for a foreign referee to officiate, citing alleged unfair treatment from Turkish officials. Both requests were rejected.

Last month, Fenerbahce threatened to withdraw from the Turkish Super Lig after Trabzonspor supporters attacked their players on the pitch following a match.

Two Fenerbahce players were issued with one-match suspensions following the incident, but club members voted against leaving the league.


Some reports suggested that Fenerbahce's youngsters walked off the pitch in response to Icardi's goal, but apparently it was always the plan to leave the field.

According to Turkish journalist Ahmet Ercanlar, Galatasaray midfielder Kerem Akturkoglu said to Fenerbahce's Emirhan Arkutcu: "Whoever starts the match should kick the ball into the crowd and whatever happens will happen."

This meant that Fenerbahce's youngsters were not expecting Galatasaray to launch the ball forward and attack straight from kick-off, as they thought their opponents were going to put the ball out of play.

Ercanlar wrote in a post on X: "I hope Emirhan will come out and tell about this incident. Everyone sees what kind of struggle we are in and who we are fighting against."

Earlier on Sunday, Fenerbahce president Ali Koc told reporters: "It is time for Turkish football to be reset."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, Turkish Super Lig

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

21 mins ago
an hour ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty
    21 mins ago

    Chelsea prepared to sell Joao Pedro to fund transfer for global superstar

    Pedro could leave Chelsea

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Footage of Joao Pedro's family reacting to Brazil squad announcement is a painful watch

    Pedro was left out of Carlo Ancelotti's 26-man squad.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Joao Pedro issues statement after being left out of Brazil's World Cup squad as Carlo Ancelotti addresses decision

    To the surprise of many, Pedro has been left out alongside a number of other big names.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Jose Mourinho at centre of leaked WhatsApp controversy as Fenerbahce issue emergency statement
  • Jose Mourinho targets five outrageous signings that will turn Fenerbahce into European powerhouse
  • Galatasaray and Fenerbahce have a squad straight out of FIFA career mode
  • Chaos as Fenerbahce players walk off pitch after Galatasaray goal one minute into cup final