sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Fans in disbelief as footage emerges of Hannibal Mejbri's 'disgusting' red card offence against Stoke
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 18:19 1 Jan 2025 GMTPublished 18:15 1 Jan 2025 GMT

Fans in disbelief as footage emerges of Hannibal Mejbri's 'disgusting' red card offence against Stoke

The former Man Utd midfielder was sent off in the latter stages of Wednesday's game.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Hannibal Mejbri could receive a hefty ban after the Burnley midfielder was handed a straight red card for stamping on Stoke City's Junior Tchamadeu during their Championship clash.

The 21-year-old Tunisia international, who joined Burnley from Manchester United in August for a reported £9 million including add-ons, has previously been warned about ill-discipline on the pitch.

And on Wednesday afternoon, Mejbri was shown a straight red card after referee Gavin Ward spotted his stamp on Stoke right-back Junior Tchamadeu in the 86th minute at Turf Moor.

As you can see from the footage below, Mejbri appeared to nudge Tchamadeu to the ground before making contact with his midriff.

Advert

"He's frustrated that he's given a short pass away," said the Sky Sports commentator. "His opponent goes to ground and then he stamps on his stomach. What are you thinking, Hannibal? An outrageous display of a lack of discipline."

Here's how fans on social media reacted to the incident.

One fan wrote: "That’s embarrassing. In a game we were piling the pressure on, you stand on someone and send us down to ten men. Woeful from Hannibal."

A second commented: "Absolutely disgrace anyone that defends that wow he’s always got that side of him," and a third said: "That’s a disgrace. I’d say 10 game ban minimum."

A fourth wrote: "Disgusting behavior," while a fifth added: "One of the most pointless, needless red cards you’ll see. Proper let his team and fans down for that."

After the full-time whistle, Burnley boss Scott Parker criticised Mejbri for his actions.

“He’s let the team down, he’s let myself down, he’s let the staff down," Parker said. "He understands that. He’s devastated but I will deal with him and deal with that situation. But he’s a young player still in development."

Speaking to BBC Radio Lancashire last month, the midfielder opened up on his start to life at Burnley, who currently sit second in the Championship table.

"I like playing football, I like playing at Burnley, I like the squad and I like the fans," he said. "We are progressing, step-by-step, we had a lot of new players and slowly, we started to see a real team.

"On the pitch I like to give everything, I like when there is action when the crowd is with us - it gives more energy for me and I think with my energy I can give more to my team-mates."

Mejbri added: "In my family, everyone tells me that I am completely different on the pitch.

"When I came to England, I was more the nice technical footballer, I had character but I didn't really like tackling but now I've got English football in me! If I'm going to tackle, I'm going to tackle."

Image credit: Getty
Image credit: Getty

Thoughts on the tackle? Let us know in the comments.

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports

Topics: Burnley, EFL Championship, Hannibal Mejbri, Manchester United, Stoke City

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Middlesbrough lawyer speaks out after Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs

    Southampton have been kicked out of this season's EFL play-offs, with Middlesbrough reinstated in their place to take on Hull in the final.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Hull City's response to finding out Southampton have been thrown out of play-offs

    Hull City's response to discovering Southampton have been thrown out of the Championship playoffs meaning they will now face Middlesbrough.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Forgotten Aston Villa player on verge of football history after Europa League final win

    Aston Villa defeated Freiburg 3-0 to win the Europa League final.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Southampton lose appeal against EFL play-off expulsion as club issue 'extremely disappointing' statement

    Southampton were initially expelled from the EFL Championship play-off final against Hull City.

    Football
  • Hannibal Mejbri Footage With Leeds Fans Emerges Amid Spit Allegation
  • Southampton lose appeal against EFL play-off expulsion as club issue 'extremely disappointing' statement
  • Hull City owner aims public dig at John Lundstram after red card vs Sheffield United
  • Newcastle told to issue 'immediate bans' as footage from Man City defeat emerges