sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Journalist claims he will ‘resign’ from Ballon d'Or jury following ‘technical error’ with his vote
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 13:22 9 Nov 2024 GMTPublished 13:00 9 Nov 2024 GMT

Journalist claims he will ‘resign’ from Ballon d'Or jury following ‘technical error’ with his vote

The journalist replied to several Twitter users after the full Ballon d'Or votes were released.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A journalist has claimed he will resign from the Ballon d'Or voting jury after he said there was a 'technical error' with his vote.

Manchester City star Rodri won the award for the first time in his career, ahead of the Real Madrid pair of Vinicius Junior and Jude Bellingham.

There was controversy surrounding the award as Real declared they would boycott the award entirely after it became apparent that Vinicius would not win.

Los Blancos players and coaching staff took to social media, and in public interviews, to defend the Brazilian and state why he deserved to win it over Rodri.

Advert

The Spaniard received 1,170 votes in total, winning the award by 41 points over Vinicius.

On Saturday, the full list of votes was finally revealed, showing the top 10 players voted for by each of the 100 journalists who took part.

There were three journalists who did not include Vinicius in their top 10 at all - Finland's Juha Kanerva, El Salvador's Bruno Porzio and Sheefeni Nikodemus from Namibia.

While Porzio and Nikodemus have yet to comment on their decision not to include Vinicius, Kanerva directly replied to a Real fan page - and several other accounts - to explain why the forward did not appear in his top 10.

He explained that he made a 'technical error' with his vote, and he claims he will resign from the Ballon d'Or voting panel. SPORTbible has contacted France Football - the Ballon d'Or organisers - for comment.

He wrote: "My technical error. I will resign from the Ballon d'Or jury."

Twitter/KanervaJP

Even if Vinicius had been given 15 points by the journalist, however, he would still not have won the Ballon d'Or.

Behind Rodri and Vinicius was Bellingham (917 points), Daniel Carvajal (550 points) and Erling Haaland (432 points).

In the Ballon d'Or Feminin, Barcelona's Aitana Bonmati was comfortably declared as the winner for the second year in a row, with her 675 points placing her ahead of team-mate Caroline Graham Hansen on 392 points.

The highest-placed Women's Super League player was Chelsea's Lauren James, who was in 13th.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Ballon d'Or, Vinicius Jr, Real Madrid, Rodri

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Thomas Tuchel makes Kobbie Mainoo decision ahead of squad announcement as Adam Wharton spot 'in doubt'

    The England boss has been cutthroat in his squad, as one midfielder is set to miss out

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Next Southampton manager odds emerge as shock candidate linked with job after emergency meeting

    Tonda Eckert is under pressure to keep his job at Southampton after accepting responsibility over the spygate scandal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up

    Tuchel will name his 26-man England squad on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Xabi Alonso's response when asked about future of three Chelsea players on live TV

    New Chelsea boss Xabi Alonso discussed the situation of three players during an impromptu interview on live TV.

    Football
  • Real Madrid Could Boycott Ballon d’Or as Furious Stance Revealed
  • Hansi Flick Aims Clear Dig at Real Madrid Ahead of Ballon d'Or Awards
  • Ballon d'Or Journalist Banned After 'Showing Bias' in Voting
  • Fabio Cannavaro Holds Bizarre Ballon d'Or Record Ronaldo and Messi Never Could