sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
The Heartwarming Moment Excelsior's Devin Plank Receives Guard Of Honour Vs Ajax In First Game Back After Cancer Diagnosis
Home>Football
Updated 11:48 22 Jan 2022 GMTPublished 11:47 22 Jan 2022 GMT

The Heartwarming Moment Excelsior's Devin Plank Receives Guard Of Honour Vs Ajax In First Game Back After Cancer Diagnosis

20-year-old Devin Plank, who was diagnosed with a malignant tumour, made his return to action in a wonderful moment.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Excelsior youngster Devin Plank was given a guard of honour vs Ajax after taking to the pitch for the first time since being diagnosed with cancer.

Around a year ago, the 20-year-old was given the dreadful news that he had developed a cancerous tumour in his fibula.

Plank had initially gone to hospital after experiencing pains in his leg but it turned out to be much worse.

It caused him to spend time on the sidelines and undergo chemotherapy. But on Thursday, Plank played his first minutes since October when he returned in the KNVB cup clash.

According to the Daily Mail, doctors had instructed him to play no more than two minutes for Excelsior so his ongoing recovery was not impacted.

As a result, he entered the fray in the 89th minute and was welcomed onto the pitch by all 22 players.

Ajax and Excelsior both formed a guard of honour and applauded the striker, who then embraced his teammates in heartwarming scenes.

Ajax were winning 9-0 against the third-tier outfit at the time but Plank was afforded a wonderful return to action - even if it was for just a couple of minutes.

You could see his beaming smile as he trotted onto the pitch and afterwards he described it as "the best moment of his life".


"I am very happy to have returned to the pitch, even though it was a short time," Plank told ESPN.

"It was an unforgettable moment We had already made four changes and I thought I was not going to come on. Fortunately, the coach did not forget me. I'm working every day to come back.

"I hope to have many minutes again as soon as possible."

Featured Image Credit: Image: ESPN

Topics: Ajax, Eredivisie, Netherlands

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up

    Tuchel will name his 26-man England squad on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Xabi Alonso's response when asked about future of three Chelsea players on live TV

    New Chelsea boss Xabi Alonso discussed the situation of three players during an impromptu interview on live TV.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Man Utd could spend £300m in the summer after securing Champions League football

    It is expected to be a busy summer at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Arsenal preparing shock bid to sign Man City player amid Pep Guardiola exit uncertainty

    Guardiola is expected to depart Man City at the end of the season following a decade in charge.

    Football