sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
New angle shows Cristiano Ronaldo's goal against Newcastle should have stood
Home>Football
Updated 07:45 17 Oct 2022 GMT+1Published 07:41 17 Oct 2022 GMT+1

New angle shows Cristiano Ronaldo's goal against Newcastle should have stood

Cristiano Ronaldo had two disallowed goals in Manchester United's 0-0 draw with Newcastle.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

New angle shows Cristiano Ronaldo's disallowed goal for Manchester United against Newcastle on Sunday should have stood.

Ronaldo had two goals chalked off in quick succession in the 0-0 draw at Old Trafford, the first coming when he was correctly flagged offside as he linked up with Jadon Sancho and rolled the ball in with his left foot.

However, controversy followed seconds later following the subsequent free-kick awarded to Newcastle.

Fabian Schar touched the ball back to Nick Pope and Ronaldo felt as though the free-kick had been taken and so decided to nip in and slot into an empty net.

Advert

He and his United teammates immediately raged at the referee for disallowing the strike, with Ronaldo booked for the way in which he protested the decision.

Footage from the stands posted online shows that Craig Pawson, the man in the middle, had blown the whistle before Ronaldo intervened.


United also had two penalty appeals waved away in the stalemate, one on Ronaldo and one on Jadon Sancho.

Afterwards, Erik ten Hag refused to discuss the disallowed Ronaldo strike, saying: "I don't have a comment, everyone has seen it.

"I shared that with them (the officials). Everyone has seen what happened today on the pitch."

From a Newcastle perspective though, the ball was not in play when Ronaldo tried his luck.

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

Although Schar had touched the ball when the whistle was blown, the view of manager Eddie Howe is simply that he was passing the ball back to Pope so he could take the free-kick.

Howe said had it been allowed to stand, it would have been a "very difficult goal to swallow".

"I could see it at the time, and for me it was clear Fabi wasn’t taking the kick," he told media in his post-match presser.

"He was allowing Nick to do it. I don’t know if the ref had blown his whistle, but I don't think he had to restart play.

"For me, it was clear that Nick was waiting to actually deliver the free-kick and then, obviously, Ronaldo had taken the ball off him. It would have been a very, very difficult goal to swallow if it had stood. For me it was clear the ball it wasn’t in play."

With Anthony Martial injured, Ronaldo started up top for United, who had just two shots on target in the 90 minutes.

He was replaced by Marcus Rashford in the 72nd minute and the England international nearly won it at the death with an injury-time header that went just wide.

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

Going into the midweek Premier League fixtures, United are fifth and ahead of sixth-placed Newcastle by one point.

Featured Image Credit: Image: Premier League & Bettsy UK

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Premier League

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Cristiano Ronaldo's furious actions spotted after Al Nassr lose AFC Champions League Two final
  • Newcastle United home shirt for 26/27 leaked and fans call it the worst kit of all-time
  • Man Utd have finally listened to Cristiano Ronaldo with new £50 million investment years after he told them to do it
  • Cristiano Ronaldo's new Al Nassr contract could see second player leave after Jhon Duran exit