• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Barcelona boss Xavi was shocked at chant aimed at Barcelona by Athletic Bilbao fans

Home> Football

Published 12:23 13 Mar 2023 GMT

Barcelona boss Xavi was shocked at chant aimed at Barcelona by Athletic Bilbao fans

Barcelona received a hostile reception when they took on Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Barcelona, Xavi, Real Madrid, La Liga, Athletic Bilbao, Joan Laporta, Josep Maria Bartomeu, Spain

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Advert

Advert

Advert

Barcelona manager Xavi said he was saddened by the hostile reception his side received during an away win against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

Brazilian winger Raphinha earned Barcelona a hard-fought 1-0 win with a fine strike just before half-time, a result that maintains their nine-point lead at the top of La Liga.

However, given events off the field over the weekend, the result at San Mames was never going to be the main talking point.

On Friday, prosecutors filed corruption charges against Barcelona relating to payments made to a company owned by the former vice president of the refereeing committee.

Advert

The prosecution alleges that Barcelona bought favourable treatment from referees between 2001 and 2018.

Barcelona paid a total of €7 million to a company owned by Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira during that period and claim the payments were for "technical reports on refereeing."

During Sunday night's match in Bilbao, the home fans threw bank notes with Barca's badge and "mafia $" written on them and chanted for Barcelona to be "relegated to the second division."

After the match, Xavi admitted he was surprised by the hostility directed at his team.

"I respect the fans at San Mames," he said during his post-match press conference.

"They have always treated me well, but I was surprised at the hostile atmosphere towards Barca.

"It was sad to see. [Barca] are being judged before time, which I don't think is good for society. Everyone is free to [air their opinion], and I respect all opinions, whether I agree with them or not, but it made me sad."

Xavi also insisted that outside noise will not impact his team's performances on the pitch.

"We have not spoken about it in the dressing room with the players," he said.

"We are here to win and are focused on the football. We are all professionals."

Xavi was asked about the treatment from Athletic Bilbao fans during his press conference. (
PA Images)

Joining Barcelona on the list of defendants are former Barca presidents Sandro Rosell and Josep Maria Bartomeu, along with Enriquez Negreira.

On Sunday, Real Madrid confirmed that they will join the complaint filed against Barcelona. La Liga and the Spanish FA are expected to do the same.

In response, Barca president Joan Laporta published a defiant statement on Twitter.

"Barça is innocent of the accusations made against it and is the victim of a campaign, that now involves everyone, to harm its honourability," he said.

"It is no surprise, and we will defend Barça and prove that the Club is innocent. Many will be forced to rectify."

Barcelona and Real Madrid will go head-to-head at Camp Nou on Sunday evening.

  • Real Madrid to take action against Barcelona, join legal battle against their rival
  • Arsenal fans claim Barcelona have always been corrupt after old footage re-emerges amidst Barcelona's refereeing scandal
  • Barcelona boss Xavi apologises and backtracks over Dani Alves comments
  • Barcelona boss Xavi asked if El Clasico makes him 'horny'

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • TNT Sports
    5 hours ago

    John Rooney reveals what Keith Andrews told his players after FA Cup heartbreak

    Macclesfield FC were beaten by Brentford in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Man Utd planning move for Liverpool star in first transfer between clubs since 1964

    One player could make a controversial move from Liverpool to Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    FA Cup 5th round draw in full as Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City learn opponents

    The draw for the fifth round of the FA Cup has been made.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Man City 'decide' next manager after Pep Guardiola with clear favourite for job

    Manchester City have decided on their next managerial target.

    Football