• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Darts player withdraws from World Championship match minutes before start as PDC issue statement

Home> Darts

Updated 15:36 20 Dec 2024 GMTPublished 15:08 20 Dec 2024 GMT

breaking

Darts player withdraws from World Championship match minutes before start as PDC issue statement

The PDC have confirmed the withdrawal in a statement.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The PDC have confirmed the cancellation of one of the World Championship first round matches on Friday after a player withdrew.

Sandro Eric Sosing, of the Philippines, was due to take on Ian White in round one at the Alexandra Palace on Friday afternoon, in the third match of the schedule.

But the PDC have confirmed that the 41-year-old, nicknamed 'The Bodyguard', has been forced to pull out just minutes before the walk-ons were due to commence.

Sosing reported chest pains during practice, with White being given a bye through to the second round.

The statement reads: "Sandro Eric Sosing has withdrawn from his match with Ian White on medical grounds.

"Sosing reported chest pains whilst practicing and, following an on-site assessment by medical staff, he has been taken for further treatment."

Image: Twitter/@OfficialPDC
Image: Twitter/@OfficialPDC

The match was due to take place at around 3:15pm, with the PDC instead moving forward the second round clash between Kai Gotthardt and defending Masters champion Stephen Bunting.

At the beginning of that game, Sky Sports Darts commentator Stuart Pyke gave an update on Sosing's condition.

He said: "Before we start, all the best to Sandro Eric Sosing. He was feeling unwell and with chest pains in the practice rooms. He's gone to hospital and we send our best wishes to him."

Sosing had qualified for the event through the PDC Asian Championship, and was due to be one of two Filipino competitors at Alexandra Palace. Fan favourite Lourence Ilagan was the other, but he lost 3-0 to Luke Woodhouse in the opening round.

Sosing also reached Ally Pally last year, losing 3-0 to Lee Evans in round one.

Meanwhile, White, a 13-time PDC ranking event winner, will face Richie Edhouse in round two.

The bye has effectively secured the 54-year-old's place in the top 64 for another year, although it was highly improbable that 'Diamond' would have dropped out even with a first round defeat.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Darts

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
5 hours ago
a day ago
  • Oche180 / PDC
    3 hours ago

    Cameron Menzies reveals what James Wade told him that he '100% meant' after 6-0 win

    Menzies thrashed Wade 6-0 in Krakow.

    Darts
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Luke Littler opponent refuses to talk about him as 'rivalry' claim made

    Littler is looking to capture his first European Tour title of the season.

    Darts
  • Oche180/X -
    a day ago

    Cameron Menzies speaks for first time since hand injury in heartbreaking interview

    Menzies was taken to hospital after punching a table at the 2026 World Darts Championship.

    Darts
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Gerwyn Price and Michael van Gerwen withdraw from first European Tour event of 2026

    The PDC confirmed the news in a statement on Friday.

    Darts
  • Darts Star Disqualified From World Championship as PDC Issue Shock Statement
  • PDC Darts Match Interrupted As Ultra-Rare Error Spotted by Caller
  • Another Darts Player to Lose PDC Tour Card After World Championship Match
  • Ex-World Champion Has Lost PDC Tour Card Before World Darts Championship