sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Manchester City To Offer Academy Left-Back Senior Squad Role This Season, Says Pep Guardiola
Home>City Xtra
Updated 12:53 4 Jan 2023 GMTPublished 10:59 25 Jul 2022 GMT+1

Manchester City To Offer Academy Left-Back Senior Squad Role This Season, Says Pep Guardiola

Pep Guardiola has revealed that Manchester City academy left-back Josh Wilson-Esbrand will be offered a more senior role in the squad.

Edward Burnett

Edward Burnett

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester City’s Josh Wilson-Esbrand is to be offered a role in the senior squad, should he stay injury-free this season, says manager Pep Guardiola.

The 19-year-old defender has been on Manchester City’s books since 2019, after joining from West Ham United - where he had spent the rest of his youth career playing.

Since then, Wilson-Esbrand has featured for Manchester City’s academy as well as making his first-team and professional debut against Wycombe Wanderers in an emphatic 6-1 League Cup victory last season at the Etihad Stadium.

The London-born defender featured in Manchester City’s victory over Club América last week, and was chosen to start in the club’s most recent game against Bayern Munich in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Advert

Despite facing the attacking and experienced pros including the likes of Thomas Muller, Leroy Sane, and Serge Gnabry, Manchester City’s impressive youngster was unfazed and turned in a mature performance as his side claimed a 1-0 win.

Manchester City defender Josh Wilson-Esbrand (97) attempts a shot while defended by Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard.
Manchester City defender Josh Wilson-Esbrand (97) attempts a shot while defended by Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard.

Wilson-Esbrand has impressed during his time in Manchester and on the recent American tour, leading to Pep Guardiola being convinced that it is the right time for the left-back to step up to the senior squad.

Speaking at Lambeau Field following the victory over Bayern Munich, the manager was full of praise for his young player.

"The problem with Josh (Wilson-Esbrand) is the last two years he was injured," said Pep Guardiola.

"He had a problem with the knee and muscular issue, but we believe he has the potential.

Guardiola continued, "He's aggressive to win the duels and with the ball is so clever, he has a good 1 V 1 defender and doesn't feel the pressure with the ball.

"Today was an example of how our back-four were pressed but didn't lose much of the ball.

"He did a really good game. If we can control his injuries, we will have a full-back for many years.”


Pep Guardiola’s comments make sense not only given Josh Wilson-Esbrand’s talent, but also because of Manchester City’s current left back situation.

Following the £30 million transfer of Oleksandr Zinchenko to Arsenal, the club are currently left with only two senior full-backs in Kyle Walker and Joao Cancelo.

The Premier League champions have been pursuing a deal for Brighton & Hove Albion’s Marc Cucurella throughout this summer.

Manchester City had an opening bid of around £30 million rejected by the Seagulls - who value their Spanish defender at nearer £50 million given the award-winning season he had last campaign.

Marc Cucurella vs Manchester City (Image: New Images LTD/Alamy)
Marc Cucurella vs Manchester City (Image: New Images LTD/Alamy)

If Manchester City are to fight on all four fronts in this upcoming 2022/23 season, then squad depth will be pivotal and having Wilson-Esbrand as a viable option in the wide defensive positions could make all the difference for Pep Guardiola’s side.

Featured Image Credit: Zuma Press / Alamy

Topics: Pep Guardiola, Manchester City, Premier League, Football

Edward Burnett
Edward Burnett

Sports Journalist.

X

@edwardburnettt

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

    • Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss
    • Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named
    • Pep Guardiola delivers hilarious moment in press conference after Man City beat Brentford
    • 'So impressed' - Pep Guardiola sends message after Man City secure historic win over Manchester United