sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
New York Red Bulls use legal loophole as 15-year-old Julian Hall makes season debut vs Inter Miami
Home>Football>MLS
Published 11:57 24 Mar 2024 GMT

New York Red Bulls use legal loophole as 15-year-old Julian Hall makes season debut vs Inter Miami

One of Major League Soccer's biggest talents made his first appearance of the season on Saturday.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

New York Red Bulls teenager Julian Hall was able to make his first league appearance of the season on Saturday after the MLS club found a legal loophole.

The teenager, who became the second youngest player to play in the MLS, when he featured against Chicago Fire last year, has struggled for first-team minutes of late.

But he isn't to blame. Hall has barely featured for Sandro Schwarz's side because New Jersey child labor laws state that anyone under the age of 16 is not allowed to work past 6pm.

Some states have made exceptions for athletes and other professions to bypass the law but New Jersey isn't one of them.

Advert

And as a result of being based in Harrison, the youngster has missed most of their games this season – despite his reputation as one of Major League Soccer's biggest talents.

However, that all changed on Saturday after the game against Inter Miami was schedule for 2pm. The 15-year-old was named on the bench before being introduced in the 79th minute.

It was a memorable afternoon for Hall and the New York Red Bulls, who made light work of Luis Suarez and co.

Lewis Morgan bagged a hat-trick for Schwarz's side, while Wikelman Carmona put the icing on top of the cake as New York continued their strong start to the season.

New York Red Bulls 15 year old homegrown Julian Hall has been unable to be on the bench often this season cus of NJ child labor laws. Kids under 16 can’t “work” past 6pm.

Today he’s on the bench cus it’s a 2pm kick off. Subbing in now for his season debut. pic.twitter.com/Yb9cDEpY9a

— Tom Bogert (@tombogert) March 23, 2024

Hall, meanwhile, is attracting interest from some of Europe's top clubs, including Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.

New York Red Bulls academy director Sean McCafferty knows the club have a special talent on their hands.

"Julian is one of those players that, no matter what we put in front of him, he managed to have an impact and he managed to adapt," he told GOAL.

"We'd be lying, though, if we said we'd expected him to adapt to first-team training as quickly as he has."

He added:" The best compliment I can give him is that every time you put him into an environment where you think he's going to struggle, he finds a way to make it work."

Featured Image Credit: CBS Sports - Getty Images

Topics: Major League Soccer, Inter Miami, MLS

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
8 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • Liverpool FC/Getty
    5 hours ago

    ‘That’s never going to happen to me again’: Mo Salah’s darkest moment explained by fellow Liverpool legend

    This almost broke the Egyptian.

    Football
  • Eddie Keogh/Stringer/Getty
    6 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola praised after speaking about the one regret he's ‘hid deep inside for many years'

    The Manchester City man still thinks about it.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    9 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Lionel Messi Rocked by Exit of Player Who 'Knows Him to Perfection'
  • Lionel Messi’s Huge Earnings At Inter Miami Show Why He Left PSG
  • Lionel Messi Facing Backlash Over ‘Disgusting’ Comment During Inter Miami Bust-Up
  • Club Could Use 'Loophole' To Sign Casemiro From Man Utd in Surprise Deal